Saturday, March 31, 2007

Transparency of the Mind

Dawn breaking at the School of Saint Anthony. Image by Allyne
Growing up in an atmosphere where achievements are thought to be wealth and expectations are often high, I became a strong person well enough to surpass academic and real life challenges.

With a span of nine years and counting, I can say that I do well enough in most of my activities and endeavors. Despite such fact, I don’t prefer calling myself as an achiever but rather, a worker. Contrary to what most of my fellows think, I am no genius. I am not the type who encloses my self to academic issues nor do I only converse with people who can calculate the square root of 9,572 mentally or one who could recount vividly the history of the Roman Empire. In reality, I’m quite a shallow person who finds joy in eating a scoop of Double Dutch-flavored ice cream once a week and is amused by watching The Simpsons.

I am quite open with the fact that I’m not very gifted in a certain area of learning but, I do know that I am blessed with certain talents I use in different ways at my advantage. Although I am not a soloist, I can hit high notes well enough as a member of the school chorale. I may not be the best news writer within the school paper organization but I take it to heart that I do my duty well in terms of delivering information and searching for the truth. My ideas might not be always the best for all yet I see my importance as an individual capable of leading. As a person, I know that each one is given distinctive abilities to match his personality; it’s just up to us to see it. And on my part, I know that I’m so far successful in terms of developing and turning my undersized talents into giant assets to reach my stars.

Though many are amazed with geniuses, I still admire people who strive hard to be where they are now because I see myself in them. Workers, in many different figurative meanings, have the best experience in life as they’ve gone through hardships and trials before eventually fulfilling the goals they want to meet. As I am a worker of my own, my journey of becoming the person I am right now is the best description of who I am.

Toughened by time, this is who I am -- a diamond with a charcoal façade.

No comments: