Tuesday, February 19, 2008

When the Clock Strikes 12

With a few more days left for me before I finally say goodbye to high school, I found myself cherishing the sparkling eight hours filled with moments I spent as me, only in a fancy hotel and a lavish dress.

Regularly, I’m more like just a piece of the 300 some students making up the Seniors Batch Me and Kristine.2008 with my nose buried on some book or probably fussing about the next quiz. And when prom season came in, I felt surprisingly excited about it. During the previous year level, I had the worst perspective and experience of the so-called ‘prom’. To go to the prom was already bad because of my insecurity issues coupled with the fact that I have to dance with a partner whose attitude spells M-E-A-N and whose dancing capabilities is that of a baby.

Just goofing around with my big ribbon before the prom.Exactly a year after the said tragic event, I just found myself staring at the fancy glass doors of the Shangri-La with the well-dressed ushers and usherettes waiting for me to step inside. All the ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ that were racing inside my head just faded away as my feet had its way. I didn’t really give a thought on how the people were looking at me as I literally kicked my billowy skirts as it made walking a short distance seem more difficult. I was kind of stunned when I finally arrived near the function room because the last time I attended a party in Shangri-La, the place looks a bit dreary. All those lights, the exquisite chandeliers, the stunning people of my batch in their transformations, I’ve got nothing more to say. It’s every girl’s dream come true.


Days before the Seniors’ prom, I discovered a lot of things about myself. Since I entered high school, my social confidence started from zero. Being bulky is a big no-no. Getting A’s is equal toMe and my peeps on the promenade stage! boring and a social torture is an initiation measure for transfer students. Dancing a sensual dance like rumba made me realize how thankful I should be. I may not be that ‘butch’ to pass the norm but I am still given an illness-free body. Feeling great about yourself and knowing how good you are starts from small steps. Surrounded by people I can be honest with is a chance given for me to grab the chance to give myself some credit. There is more than the dance itself. Appreciating your self, enjoying other people’s company, earning the respect of your partner – these life’s simple lessons dawned to me not from some textbook but from taking the experience. And because of that, I presented myself as a full person, before and after the prom.

After the formalities of the program, carefree people hit the dance Socialites on the loose at Edsa Shangri-Lafloor, grooving to the hip mix of tunes. And to think that Teachers Jinky and Nil initiated the wild night, how cool is that? I thank the teachers for really letting us have our way, at least just for that night. What’s more, I actually became a party person that night, well, before the slow songs filled the airwaves. Not that I’m bitter or something but I just don’t understand why people often associate proms with romance. I guess everyone’s just feeling hopelessly romantic given that we held our prom during the season of love.

Though I sat for most of the slow dancing portion of the affair, my seven slow dances this year Feet Star. Guess where's mine!meant so much more than my 18 dances during my previous prom. The guys I danced with were the ones who actually saw me through all these years and became my close buddies, hopefully forever. But that night, I actually had one wish. They say that the last dance is the most special of them all and before the night ended, I told God that if a guy I’m not really close to dances with me for the last dance, I’ll be the happiest person in that occasion. While hopefully waiting for that particular moment, I spent most of my time capturing memories and of course, happily watching the people on the dance floor whose arms surround each other and finally gazing into each other’s eyes.

Jayson and I.When Teacher Reymond announced that there would only be 1 song before the prom’s last song is to be played, I just sat there and waited for God’s response. Finally, the song “Bubbly” filled the room. I kind thought that God’s decision didn’t favor me so I just decided to pull myself from the comfy seat and call my dad to fetch me when Jayson Ramirez stood in front of me and asked me to dance. I thanked God silently for that moment not because I’m getting gigglish or romantic. Though Jayson and I are on speaking terms, we are not that close at all. I just knew him from my freshman days and that was it. I asked for that kind of dance from God because I’m in need of guys who can see girls not just objects of romance but great friends as well. I am hoping that this is a chance for me to form new and lasting bonds outside my shell.

I’m not really into making life complicated. Promenade or no promenade, I believe that love should be celebrated everyday, no need for fancy demonstrations but if you want to, you may give me a blue tulip. My seniors’ prom definitely gave me a clear picture of life’s real lessons than I have inside the classroom. As the Spice Girls once sang “If you want to last forever, friendship never ends”, I’m surely going to make the lasting bonds of my life now.

Happy-ever-after’s do happen.

Sweetness,
Allyne

P.S. Did you notice that this post is now loaded with pics? Well, as much as I want to post all of my 142 pictures during my prom night, I don't really think that will be a good idea. If you reaaaallllllyyyyy want to see them, just tell me okay?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ui! Gusto ko makita yung 144 (tama ba?) na pics mo! Mwahahaha. =P Ilabas na 'yan! Hehe. God bless Ia! :)

Anonymous said...

Ai. 142 pala. Haha. Ulyanin ko talaga. XD =D

Anonymous said...

Wui aaayaaa. I love it! Love your posts. Totally :)