Sunday, May 11, 2008

Absently Celebrating Mothers' Day

It’s raining. It’s cold. It’s Mothers’ Day.

This day feels bleak when the person you are celebrating for is far from you. Yep, you guessed right. My mom’s a hundred miles away from us on her day.

Since my awareness of this celebration (you won’t know about Mothers’ Day when you’re just a year old right?), it’s the first time I wasn’t able to celebrate it with my mom. Not that I don’t like the company of my dad and sisters but no body can replace my mom’s presence. But then, a friend reminded me of a great line fitting for my current sentiment. Even if my mom is far from home, I am still celebrating because a part of me came from her and it is because of her that I currently exist. If you have an absentee parent on this special day, celebrate still. Don’t hesitate to do so for “presence does not require physical manifestation.” She’s there in your core.

Happy Mothers’ Day to all moms!

No comments: